It is better to be an outcast, a stranger in one’s own country, than an outcast from one’s self. It is better to see what is about to befall us and to resist than to retreat into the fantasies embraced by a nation of the blind.
Chris Hedges

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Where from here?

One can survive everything, nowadays, except death, and live down everything except a good reputation. - Oscar Wilde

Well, five sleeps from today I will be locked up with a dozen or so addicts of various afflictions. Being the coward I am, I have whittled away what I can in the meantime, in preparation. This column of mine will be silent for a while. Seven days of detox and six months of rehab. I am an alcoholic. But modern medicine has porcupined me with a plethora of anti-depressants as well. But no blame on them, I was looking for a quick fix and jumped in with both feet.

What comes out at the other end will be interesting.

No comments: