It is better to be an outcast, a stranger in one’s own country, than an outcast from one’s self. It is better to see what is about to befall us and to resist than to retreat into the fantasies embraced by a nation of the blind.
Chris Hedges

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Ground Control to Major Tangi

I'm not sure if the spelling is write (sic) but yesterday was not one of my shining moments. I received a phone call from Wellington confirming my attendance at a soiree (paid for by the people... through their government mandarins ). Unfortunately the flight was to leave at ten past six and it was already four. News to me. Fortunately, I called my wife for her advice on the wisdom of me travelling so quickly following my latest unfortunate walk with the Black Dog, and as luck would have it she advised against the trip and I thanked her.
Now for a bit of background. I had imaginings I was to be received and honoured for past good works (long past I'm afraid). These illusions continued to haunt me as I stewed. Sensing a mood shift my wife went off to shop for our dinner and kindly enquired if I would like a sampling of one of New Zealand's fine lagers. No thank you, says I, I'm fine. Again, perhaps sensing a storm on the horizon, my darling bought me two lovely cold lagers anyway. I was sampling the second when I heard the drone of the plane winging its way to the party.
My wife prepared a lovely dinner and I ate it with all the fake good humour I could summon while inside I festered, red-faced. Imagine then later in the evening when I chose to send her out for refills, minutes before the shops were to close. She returned empty handed and crying while I stood there dripping wet with self pity. Then, came my shining moment when I accused her of somehow conspiring to ruin my day. I hope I am able to somehow make it up to my friend. I mean, sure I'm going through a bit of turbulence but somehow I missed the beautiful sunset right through my first class seat window. Hei tangi, indeed.

No comments: