It is better to be an outcast, a stranger in one’s own country, than an outcast from one’s self. It is better to see what is about to befall us and to resist than to retreat into the fantasies embraced by a nation of the blind.
Chris Hedges

Saturday, February 23, 2008

In Plain Sight

I'm still alive and well after 103 days in rehab. I move from the programme to a support house on March 17th. Thus far the journey has been difficult. Getting to the core of who you are and what has been haunting you since childhood takes time. It was a common enough story and I am grateful for the effort and time others spent helping me begin the work. True, I have a little knowledge, and a few tools, but the work will be ongoing. In the meantime I am sober and that's enough for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read in ODAT this morning ...

"Doubts and fears that the sober alcoholic may not keep his sobriety are contrary to the Al-Anon way of thinking. Do we let ourselves doubt that ' he'll make the program'? Are we uneasy when he gets home later than expected" Do we jump to the conclusion that he has started drinking again? This we must overcome! Such an attitude cannot be concealed and our lack of confidence can do untold damage. The person who is trying to maintain sobriety needs our loving trust. Even if a relapse should happen, the injury is not to us, but to the unfortunate who once again was overcome by the compulsion to drink. This is a time to stand by with patience and compassion. Let us not punish the alcoholic or ourselves.

TODAY'S REMINDER:
I will carefully guard my own mental sobriety This gift from my Higher Powere will express itself in a quiet, reasonable attitude, regardless of what happens.

'I pray that I may not fall into the error of aniticpating trouble. If it should come, let me meet it with equanimity andlove.'"

I feel excited yet calm.