It is better to be an outcast, a stranger in one’s own country, than an outcast from one’s self. It is better to see what is about to befall us and to resist than to retreat into the fantasies embraced by a nation of the blind.
Chris Hedges

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Towards Spirituality

I am grateful to Paulo Coelho for choosing to become the advance scout in my search to find spirituality. He is fearless and inclusive in his search. There are no fees and dues to join with him, short of getting a library card, or purchasing a book. Nobody is excluded from the spiritual experience. His books fire the imagination and possibility, often containing step-by-step instructions. I like that the instructions are there. One can try them without being limited by their definition. Or you can choose to treat them as most good rules should be, not abolutes, but guidelines. I believe anyone, anywhere can embark on their own pilgrimage, whether it be around the world or around the block. An inquisitive nature coupled with humility is required, together with the capacity to be in tune to nature and people. It is requisite that nothing be dismissed as insignificant or coincidental. We should allow time to ponder and reflect on what happened. To that end I am going to start testing my ideas with a daily walk. I will be alert to sound and eye-contact with the people I meet. I will pray before leaving, asking God to guide me towards my purpose for today. And in the spirit of Paolo, I'll let you know what happens.

No comments: