It is better to be an outcast, a stranger in one’s own country, than an outcast from one’s self. It is better to see what is about to befall us and to resist than to retreat into the fantasies embraced by a nation of the blind.
Chris Hedges

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Old vs New

I love God, and I figure he loves me too. I love church too. But getting inundated with constant reminders about your failures leaves me spiritually bereft, no matter whether it is true or not. Why is it the glass is always half-empty? The Old Testament is all about smiting and flooding and generally wiping everybody out from time to time. What Jesus Christ gave us was a sense of hope. He smote no one. He generally went about protecting the least of us and telling us he loved us unconditionally and told us there was only one thing: "Love one another, as I have loved you."
Recently, at church, a fella told me he held a degree in Civil Engineering; which seemed impossible given he had only returned from a mission two and a half years ago... got married... and began working for a firm. But rather than challenge the facts, I chose to leave. Pride and one-upsmanship doesn't do too much for what I hope is a spiritual experience for me each Sunday. Judgement is also anathema to spiritualism and it is my failing. I'm not sure whether I should go to church and simply ignore the things that make me angry or study the words of a man who made no judgment, forgave everyone, and loved everyone.

No comments: